Fluid Flow Regenerative Medicine Therapy
Alternative source of stem cells
Fluid flow regenerative medicine therapy has become an emerging field which focuses on repair, replacement or regeneration of cells, tissues and the entire organs. The regeneration may occur in a patient’s own body by using their system as a bioreactor, e.g., cell therapy that involves transplantation of stem cells capable of proliferating, differentiating and replacing damaged host cells.
As the field of regenerative medicine advances, sources of stem cells have been intensified. Though embryonic and adult tissues can be used for isolation of pluripotent stem cells, the amniotic fluid (AF) has been proposed as an alternative source of stem cells for tissue regeneration. AF cells could be banked and used for either allogeneic or autologous transplantation
Amniotic Membrane Is a Natural Scaffold with Multiple Clinical Applications
Human amniotic membrane is the innermost foetal layer, lining the amniotic cavity and protecting the fetus during pregnancy. The outer layer, termed chorionic membrane, further separates the fetus from maternal tissues. Reports focusing on the physiological functions of fetal layers have shown that amniotic membrane not only provides a physical support for the fetus, but also serves as a metabolically active filter through a direct interaction with amniotic fluid. In particular, the transport of water and soluble materials as well as the production of growth factors, cytokines, and other bioactive molecules are regulated by amniotic membrane. In addition to its role during pregnancy, amniotic membrane allows the initiation and maintenance of uterus contraction at birth.
How Does Fluid Flow Amniotic Injections Compare to Products Offered to Treat Similar Conditions?
Platelet Rich Plasma (otherwise known as PRP) is extracted from venous blood via centrifugation. It contains some growth factors, but the number of mesenchymal cells present is limited by the donor’s age, his or her medical history, and mechanical degradation in the centrifuge. Amniotic injections don’t come with these limitations. Generally speaking, the younger the tissue being processed, the more MSC’s it’s likely to contain, and of course amniotic tissue is quite young indeed.
Cortisone is used because of its supposed anti-inflammatory properties. But it has not yet been the subject of randomized controlled studies, and it has over 100 potential side effects including muscle and tissue atrophy, heightened glucose levels, and tendon rupture. In an effort to prevent these complications, doctors put a lifetime limit of 3 cortisone injections in any one anatomic area. In contrast, Fluid flow regenerative medicine therapy has no side effects, so patients can take them as often as necessary, and there’s no maximum dose.
Does Medical Insurance Reimburse for Amniotic Injections?
Insurance companies sometimes reimburse for amniotic injections. The first step is to send your insurance information and your diagnosis for VOBs (Verification of Benefits). As it stands currently, Medicare picks up 80% of the cost and your secondary insurance usually picks up the remaining 20% of the cost, as long as you have met your deductible. If you have any feeling that Fluid flow regenerative medicine therapy might help you, you should definitely discuss the possibility with a competent physician such as the ones at Premier Osteoarthritis Clinics of Pennsylvania.