How the Human Body Can Get Injured During the Moving Process
Avoid Knee Replacement
Many people may not realize just how dangerous moving can be, until they find themselves in the emergency room. Moving heavy boxes, large furniture and other household items can be taxing on most people. Even when using proper lifting techniques there are so many ways the human body can get hurt, as the risk for injury is always present. Particularly when moving bulky appliances, the average person may not have the right equipment to haul it into the moving van safely. Those who want to avoid the risk of injury during a move, may hire a professional moving company Berwyn, PA chooses instead. If you want to take on the moving yourself, here are some tips to help keep your body injury-free.
Q: What is the most common way people get hurt during moving?
A: When moving sturdy furniture or other weighty belongings, the back is usually the most common area to get injured. If a person does not lift objects in the right way, the back may suffer a strain, sprain, or even a herniated disc. There are a few things to consider when it comes to protecting your back:
- Push, don’t pull heavy objects. Even with a cart, you can injure your back if you do not use the strength of your legs to move the item. When pulling, your back muscles may become too taut from the force.
- Minimize how much you twist and bend. Do not lean over the item when picking it up. If you bend and twist during lifting, a sheer force is put on the disks and facet joints of the back, applying stress to these tissues.
- Always keep your body aligned with the box or item you are moving. If you are looking to the side as you lift, you can pull muscles in your neck, back or shoulders.
Q: What if I don’t have the equipment or tools I need to move an item?
A: Those who are in the process of moving may find they do not have the right equipment or tools to haul items like a refrigerator, washing machine, dryer, couch or other large object. It may also be too expensive to run out and purchase the tool you need. If you find yourself stuck, you may want to call a moving company near you for assistance. These companies are strategizers in hauling out the biggest and heaviest objects, along with providing the equipment needed to do so safely.
Q: What is a potential injury not many people think about?
A: Overreaching during moving is another error not many people think about, that can lead to painful back injuries. When a person overextends his or her reach, the spine is put in an unnatural, twisted position. It is better to take steps closer than reaching too far to try and grab the item. Use a ladder to gather items from your kitchen, bathroom and closet that may be too high to reach for safely.
Thank you to our friends and contributors at Suburban Solutions for their insight into moving and ways to avoid injury.
- New to Chiropractics? Here’s All That You Need To Know - October 24, 2019
- Performing Chiropractic Adjustments on Yourself: A Bad Idea - September 24, 2019
- What It Feels Like Post-Chiropractor - August 21, 2019