Safety Tips to Remember When Making the Big Move
It is common knowledge that moving can be a stressful and big task to take on alone. Many people do not realize there are dangers associated with lugging your belongings all by yourself. The last thing you need during this time is to visit the emergency room due to a lift or twist gone bad. Here we cover many ways you can help prevent yourself from getting injured while making the big move.
#1 Plan Way Ahead of Time
Some people wait until the very last minute to move. Either they are busy, have to work or are afraid to get started. If you are planning to move by a certain date, start preparing now. Gather boxes, start doing some deep cleaning, organize and go through your things to get rid of items that you no longer need. Your weight will be lighter if you recycle or donate belongings that you do not use anymore.
The more you plan ahead of time, the less of a rush you will be in. This can help prevent accidents from happening due to feeling pressured to move quickly. By deep cleaning, small debri you may have tripped on while carrying a box is no longer a threat.
#2 Hire Help
Moving is not intended to be done by one person. It takes a team to accomplish moving everything from a dozen small boxes to larger items like washing machines, dryers and even refrigerators. Especially when it comes to the heavier stuff, hiring professional movers, like Suburban Solutions, may be the way to go. Moving large machines is a huge risk to you and the other person who may be helping.
Professionals can provide the proper equipment to help lift and carry these bulky items with more ease. In the end it may actually save you money by hiring movers, like movers Franconia VA relies on, because it saves you the costs of an emergency room visit.
#3 Use Lifting Techniques
During moving, our body can get exhausted from having to turn, twist and move awkwardly while shifting things around. In order to get a box through a doorway or lift an oversized frame off the walls, we may have to put our body through odd maneuvers. Your body will likely not be too happy to endure such unusual movements. By using your muscles in unfamiliar ways, you may be more likely to sustaining mild to very serious injuries. A hurt back is an all too common injury for people who are moving. Below are techniques to help assist in the moving process.
- Do not lift heavy things over your head unless you absolutely have to.
- Always lift with your legs, not your back.
- It is better to push heavy objects versus pulling them.
- When turning while holding a hefty item or box, turn with your feet and not your hips.
- Keep items close to the center of your body in relation to height. Keep your eyes in front of you ahead while looking slightly upwards.
- When bending, keep your back straight and flex the knees.
Latest posts by MatadorAdmin (see all)
- How the Human Body Can Get Injured During the Moving Process - February 16, 2019
- The Many Benefits of PRP Treatment - February 10, 2019
- How Knee Pain Can Be Treated With Chiropractic Care - January 21, 2019